Friday, December 12, 2008

Various insects taken summer 2008

I am very interested in this first insect. The top photograph is taken on the milkweed in the field behind my house. The day I took this the butterflies and bees were all over the milkweed. Even had a monarch that day. The one below is on a day old daylily bloom. It looks like a butterfly in the making, but I can't find it in my reference books for insects or butterflies.
The rest are just some macro photographs of insects I took all during the summer.
The Spotted Cucumber Beetle is the only one I could find in my reference book, not a very big reference book.


Spotted Cucumber Beetle


Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Each of these has their own beauty! I think I only recognized one insect out of the bunch!

Anonymous said...

You sure are great at capturing insects....I will try to look in my insect book and see if I can find that first one later on. I have seen those and never know what they are.

Anonymous said...

I am quicker than I thought--try googling 'ailanthus webworm moth' and then click on images. I think this is it.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful clear shots of the bugs.It would always be nice to I.D. them but now you have the picturesand maybe someday they will all have names.
Blessings,Ruth

Anonymous said...

These photos are wonderful. I know what you mean about trying to find out what something is. I spent about 30 minutes just trying to find the name of a flower that I had photographed.

Anonymous said...

I didn't recognize many of these insects, but all of the photographs are stunning.

Anonymous said...

I had a son who loved BUGS---and collected every bug he could find... Yipes!!!! You make them look so gorgeous!!! I especially like that first one.
Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

Great shots... I agree with Rose... see this link to a blog with the same bug...

http://www.thenatureinus.com/2008/07/ailanthus-webworm-moth.html

Craig

Anonymous said...

Hi Leedra, I sure do enjoy your
insect photos. I will try to help
you as best as I can. The first
two of course are the ailanthus
webworm moth; the next I believe
is a possible yellow-collared
scape moth; next is a long-horned
beetle (family Cerambycidae); then
it's the spotted cucumber beetle;
and the last four appear to be a
soldier beetle. Hope this helps.
Hap in New Hope

Anonymous said...

There's a lot of Beauty in the Insect World and they especially look good with the flowers.

ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS SITE ARE COPYRIGHTED BY LEEDRA SCOTT
THEY MAY NOT BE USED WITHOUT MY WRITTEN CONSENT
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
EMAIL: LEEDRA.SCOTT@GMAIL.COM