Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Found in the old tree at Lake Seminole Park

When we came back around to the old tree, in previous post, this is what we found.Needless to say, we weren't disappointed. I have researched this and feel comfortable saying it is a Broad Winged Hawk, but correct me if I am wrong.
He let me walk all the way around him, but the light was not right from the other side.
UPDATE: I may have felt comfortable saying this was a Broad Winged Hawk, but it has turned out to be Red Shouldered Hawk. A Florida Red Shouldered Hawk is closer in appearence to the Broad Winged Hawk than in any other area. Thanks to all that helped with the identification.
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see it now! Go to your other one and enlarge and look at the very top and tell me what that is.

Anonymous said...

LOL, you are right Darla, there is a small bird in the top of the tree in the first photo. Can't tell what it is but my guess is a Mocking bird.

Leedra,

Very nice photos and story.
Craig

Anonymous said...

Also, Leedra, I agree with your broad-wing conclusion. I saw one here a couple of weeks ago making a capture right in front of me. No picture of course, but I did blog about the story.

Craig

Anonymous said...

Very kind of this hawk to comply w/ your picture taking! He is handsome!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful capture Leedra, great photogtaphs.

Anonymous said...

Leedra: Great capture of majestic Mr. Hawk! I get so excited when I see them soar..am never within reach of my camera.. but one day!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic pictures.The tree is now complete with this lovely bird on it.
Blessings,Ruth

Anonymous said...

Awesome pix Leedra!!

Anonymous said...

Leedra these are great shots and it was so very nice of him to pose for you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Leedra,
Just looking at your imm. hawk
and noticed some barring on the
wing secondaries. This is more
likely to be found on an imm.
Red-shouldered Hawk. I can't say
for sure, but it might be worth
checking out. Nice photography
as always!
Hap in New Hope

Anonymous said...

Leedra: Very nice captures in the wonderful blue skies.

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful!

The other day while driving to work I spotted some kind of eagle sitting atop a lightpost. I only wish that I was able to stop and take a photo, but I didn't have my camera with me.

Anonymous said...

These raptors are so majestic.

Anonymous said...

Leedra,

If you have time please check my lastest hawk post. I think it's a broad-wing also.

Thanks for you help,
Craig

ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS SITE ARE COPYRIGHTED BY LEEDRA SCOTT
THEY MAY NOT BE USED WITHOUT MY WRITTEN CONSENT
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
EMAIL: LEEDRA.SCOTT@GMAIL.COM