Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Telephone Days Gone By

This is an old telephone in my hallway coming from the garage. I wish I could say it is an old family one, but truth is my grandparents did not have a phone until much later. I am sure when they first purchased the farm there were no phone lines that far out of town. But they did not get a phone when it was available. They got it after my Papa had his first heart attack in 1958. I remember that day so well, I was 5 1/2 at the time, and my mother was pregnant with my brother, Gerry. It seems like it was a special day, like Easter, but not necessarily, we were always there on Sunday for Sunday dinner. And dinner was the the meal right after church. I say that because dinner is different to different people. The definition of dinner is the 'chief meal' of the day, whichever time it is.I found this bargain at an architectural antique store in Green Bay, and I mean WAY up in there, one way in and one way out. Reminded me of the Keys of Florida in that respect.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so neat looking!

Anonymous said...

You know you are getting old when you can remember using one of these as a kid....lol.

Anonymous said...

Did you grow up in the south? I know what you mean about dinner, it's what you had after church on sunday. Supper was at night...

Loved you story and the phone.

Craig

Anonymous said...

Craig Glenn - I grew up in Stone Mountain, Georgia. My Granny and Papa lived in Monroe, Georgia on a 300 acre farm. Milked 5 or 6 cows by hand twice daily. Delivered milk daily (except Sunday) from the back of their car. We even went in the house and put the milk in the refrigerator.

Anonymous said...

Leedra: That is very neat, I never had one like that but I do remember two party lines.

BTW: I have the names of all the dragonflies but have visitors so not enough time.

Anonymous said...

That is a special find.That one goes way back.I don't think I ever saw one but have heard about them alot.
Blessings,Ruth

Anonymous said...

This would look awesome in my home!!

Happy New Years My Friend!!

Anonymous said...

Leedra, those phones were before my time, but I do remember party lines and Sunday dinner after church. Thanks for the memories and Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

Oh Leedra, I love 'old' things like that telephone. When I was a little girl in southwest VA, we all had 3-digit telephone numbers. Mine was 213. We would always go through an operator in order to call someone else. She'd say "Number please." We always thought our telephone operator knew all of the gossip and 'scoop' in town!!!! ha

Happy New Year.
Hugs,
Betsy

ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS SITE ARE COPYRIGHTED BY LEEDRA SCOTT
THEY MAY NOT BE USED WITHOUT MY WRITTEN CONSENT
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
EMAIL: LEEDRA.SCOTT@GMAIL.COM