Friday, December 19, 2008

Great Blue Heron earlier this week at Veteran's Park

I am still visiting my hubby in Spring City a day or two each week. We don't have the new home away from home livable yet. Well, it has rained all week, and it rained while I was there. But I did venture out of the motel long enough to mail a photography order and since it was just drizzling at the time I thought I should go check on Veterans Park at the edge of Watts Bar Lake.I was shocked to say the least. This was the first time I had seen this beautiful lake during the winter. Granted Veterans Park is at the edge and can't even see the lake real good from this point, except the edge you are standing at. This spot is where I have been photographing the Great Blue Heron since Jimmy was transferred to Spring City.
Well, there he is, but with the lack of other humans he was more skittish than usual, and flew as soon as I got this first photo. I wasn't ready, and did not capture a clear photo at all while he was in flight. There he is on the other side.
So I decided to walk on around the walking trail, and come to another one.
This time I was just slightly more ready.
But as I tried to keep up with him as he was passing me by I clipped his wing off. These birds are very large and that wing span is huge. According to Sibley Guide to Birds the wing span is 72 inches, and I believe it. Think about that, I am 65 inches tall.
He continued on to the other side.
These photographs were all I got for my efford out in the drizzling rain.
That is why I have been staying in the house.
Except Richard At The Water is trying his best to get me interested in what is beyond my window, so I bought new types of bird seed (even the expensive stuff) and added some food to new areas around the yard. But I did not do it in my PJ's Richard, I got dressed to do it.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Rickard is a crazy birdwatcher! ;)

Your flight pictures look great to me.

Anonymous said...

I love the second from last picture especially.It has a moody look to it.Gorgeous.
Blessings,Ruth

Anonymous said...

Very nice series! You sure have better luck with the herons than I do.

Anonymous said...

I think you did a great job of getting pictures of the heron in flight.

Anonymous said...

I am with Ruth! (always a safe place to be when it comes to photography, lol)

That next to last photo is awesome. Having a hard time finding the right words to describe it but I love it.

Craig

Anonymous said...

Believe me, PJs, robe, and slippers don't keep you warm at -10.

I switched to better bird food this winter. Costs about twice as much but the birds eat about 98% of it compared to the kind with all the sorghum which they eat less then half. I mix mine 50-50 with black sunflower seeds which seems to meet everyones needs even the squirrels.

Anonymous said...

WOW---love the 5th one the best. Gorgeous shot!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful series. I sure am glad I found your blog.

Anonymous said...

Sheesh! And I'm only 60 inches :) Too scary to think about that 72 inch wingspan!

Great shots as always Leedra!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Ruth on this one and love the mood in the second from last shot!

ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS SITE ARE COPYRIGHTED BY LEEDRA SCOTT
THEY MAY NOT BE USED WITHOUT MY WRITTEN CONSENT
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
EMAIL: LEEDRA.SCOTT@GMAIL.COM