Saturday, November 15, 2008

UPDATED to Boat Tailed Grackle not Rusty Blackbird

I ID'd this is a female Rusty Blackbird. That was the best I could do looking at my reference books. Lynne and Hap ID'd it for me, as a Boat Tailed Grackle. Another one for my lifer list.
These photographs were taken standing on John's Pass Boardwalk at Maderia Beach, Florida. These were taken while I was watching the dolphin playing in the ocean a very short distance from the birds.
Look at those feet.
and right there is a photograph that is this bird without a doubt. These photographs were taken on the Gulf Coast, and they have a photo of the Gulf Coast female. Thank you Lynne and Hap, I am sure I will know this bird the next time I see it.
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cool looking bird, love the name maybe because my hubby's nickname is Rusty!

Anonymous said...

My first thought was a catbird, but when I googles it I decided it probably isn't.

Anonymous said...

Great shots! I haven't seen one of these before.

Anonymous said...

Have never seen one before so looked it up. Heaven knows I'm not that great on bird id's but it says that the female Rusty has a yellow eye. It could be that is is a juvenile. The female Brewer's has a dark eye. Something to think about.

Anonymous said...

I was leaning toward a boat-tailed or great-tailed grackle but I got confused in the Peterson guide about the eye color. I think it's not a rusty blackbird because the eyes are dark. But that's as far as I could get.

Not much help...

Nice pictures though Leedra. I find myself drawn to what others might call drab or colorless birds (ie: turkey vultures and sparrows)

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful bird...love the rusty browns and blacks of his feathers!

Anonymous said...

The bird looks a little cranky - but cute!

Anonymous said...

Looks a little like some kind of Grackle maybe.. When I was at Tybee Island, there were Grackle's all over the place. Great Pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

Leedra: No help here but they are neat photos.

Anonymous said...

Hi Leedra,
How about that Lynne? She is
becoming a first rate birder!
I also believe it is a grackle.
More than likely a Boat-tailed;
I think Great-tailed would not
be found on the east coast very
often.
Hap in New Hope

Anonymous said...

I concur with Lynne and Anonymous that it is a beautiful female boat-tailed grackle. Nicely captured at that!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your lifer!

Anonymous said...

Leedra,
The bird in the first picture looks really mad!!!

Anonymous said...

He is a pretty little thing.

ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS SITE ARE COPYRIGHTED BY LEEDRA SCOTT
THEY MAY NOT BE USED WITHOUT MY WRITTEN CONSENT
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
EMAIL: LEEDRA.SCOTT@GMAIL.COM