Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Migration in the yard - part 2

Yes, they are European Starlings. Everybody has them, nobody wants them.

But when they gather together in the fall they are so pretty.

These photos are cropped alot, I had to see for myself that they trully are Starlings.

Starlings must be the only bird that migrates in large numbers over East Tennessee.
Because when anybody sees migrating birds they always say "There are the Starlings"
I just had to crop to see the markings for myself. Now I know for sure, yep, they are Starlings.
They have pretty markings this time of year. Doesn't mean my husband is going to be any more tolerate of them building in the propane tank lid next year than he was this year. I have to give him credit, he did not tear the nest out until they had several families. Finally caught it at the right time, probably after all these were hatched. (Hah!)
Glad my new car was parked in the garage while all this was going on. The 12 year old Blazer got blasted good.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Assuming this wasn't tongue in cheek Leedra gets the fall migration "good sport" award!

Anonymous said...

Yipes---haven't seen them yet around us!!! Sounds like, as much as I love birds, you can keep this bunch!!!!! Where are they--New Market or Spring City?????

Anonymous said...

That's how those stinkin' Crows are here!

Anonymous said...

Betsy - Home is New Market. When in Spring City we are still in Howard Johnson's. House in Rockwood is not livable.

Anonymous said...

Leedra: I never got this close, great photos for certain.

Anonymous said...

I think they are very pretty when they are in this fall plumage.

Anonymous said...

I find them interesting - watching their behavior but glad they are not in my yard harrassing the smaller birds. Nice shots.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful series of images. Wow, great shots!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever read Arnie the Darling Starling? It's a wonderful little book, and really makes you appreciate these great little birds (albeit they are pesky, too!) I don't remember the name of the author.
Marie

ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS SITE ARE COPYRIGHTED BY LEEDRA SCOTT
THEY MAY NOT BE USED WITHOUT MY WRITTEN CONSENT
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
EMAIL: LEEDRA.SCOTT@GMAIL.COM