Monday, November 24, 2008

Cactus in the attic

My Christmas Cactus blooming in the attic. Blooming in time to be called a Thanksgiving Cactus instead of Christmas Cactus, which mine do most years. I bring them down on the day of visitors, so the buds don't drop from coming into a warmer area.
Mine are not as large as Dorothy's blooming cactus. The blooms are gorgeous, but my plants are not large like Dorothy's.
I have a friend that has one that has been passed through 3 generations in her husband's family. It had not bloomed since she had received it. I told her to put it outside in the summer in an area well protected from the sun, leave it until the buds set in the fall. Be sure and bring in before any chance of the cold killing it. She has now had blooms for 5 years. I have read they have to have certain hours of dark and light. I have learned they just need some cool air to set their buds. If you can put out in early spring (well protected) they will also bloom at Easter. I put my on my glass porch after the coldest weather is over, and then I have 'rebloomers'.
Just have to take the close ups.
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and thanks for the info, I have killed two. I found a piece of one on the floor at Lowes yesterday, scooped it up, brought it home and I am trying to root it. Wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

Oh, did you kill the spider?!

Anonymous said...

Leedra, Our Christmas cactus is beginning to bloom now also. What's up with that????? Guess we'll have to rename them the "Thanksgiving Cactus" won't we????? ha.. Great pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

Great detail in your macro shot.

LOL to Darla on her find.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Leedra!
Your Catcus is beautiful! I love the macros! Mine bloomed again in the spring last year.

Anonymous said...

Exquisite macros - beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Whew,I'm so glad to see those beautiful flowers instead of spiders.The macro shots are great.
Blessings,Ruth

Anonymous said...

Hi Leedra, exquisite flower, great photography. I just love these macro shots, puts a whole new perspective on things and yours are first class in every way.

Anonymous said...

Leedra: That is really captured so well.

Anonymous said...

thanx for stopping in my blog and comment! great photos!
Luis

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous Christmas cactus! And thanks for the info on them too! Mom just bought one...

Leedra, thank you so much for your sweet comments on my Skywatch Friday post! I always love to see that you have been by, and love looking at your wonderful posts too! Hope you had a GREAT Thanksgiving!
Marie

Anonymous said...

I love these close up pics of the Christmas cactus. The color contrast is beautiful. As is the detail in the stamen.

ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS SITE ARE COPYRIGHTED BY LEEDRA SCOTT
THEY MAY NOT BE USED WITHOUT MY WRITTEN CONSENT
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
EMAIL: LEEDRA.SCOTT@GMAIL.COM