Monday, March 2, 2009

Leaving the port at Cartagena Columbia

This is the Catholic Statue of the Virgin of Carmen.
The statue is to protect sailors traveling the ocean.
While in Cartagena we kept hearing reference to New Cartagena and Old Caragena. The skyline is obviously New Cartagena. You can still see the statue in the right side of the water.Columbia has a lot of walls.
They all look fort like, this is a different angle as the ship was leaving port. In the background you can still see the highrise buildings.
The tours have kind of run together, but if I remember correctly Columbia has their own oil. We saw these cargo ships as we left.
There is a beach!!
Another one person boat, no motor. There were a lot of these, and it surprised me how far out in the ocean they actually were.
There are 2 in this one, and they have a motor.

Getting closer to leaving the port area.
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Unknown said...

That statue is interesting. Great photos. Those little boats, no motors and way out there like that...Oh No!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Thanks, Leedra. Gee--there alot of difference between the old city and the new city. I bet that's true in all of the South American countries, a huge difference between the rich and the poor.

Beautiful shot of the statue.
Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Beautiful!
Blessings,Ruth

Kim said...

Wonderful shots. It looks so warm there. I am envious of the people in the boast with the summer clothing on. I can't even imagine that right about now.

Shelley said...

I loved seeing that statue rise out of the water - almost like an angel!

Willard said...

A good series. Enjoying the photos of your trip.

Femin Susan said...

Wow, those are such gorgeous shots!
Cheers and best wishes.

Unknown said...

Beautiful! that statue is unique! My sister-in-law is there now. :) Work for her, she's FBI, so she doesn't share many photos of the beauty of the area.

Unknown said...

I love the statue. These photos are amazing. Such a beautiful place.

Michele Wassell said...

I really enjoy your blog as its nice to see other parts of earth.. :) Your photos are lovely. Thank you so much for your comments on my blog posts.... Have a great week! :)

Melissa Weisbard said...

Great photos! I love traveling. I just got back from Arizona on Sunday. I'll be putting up some new photos on my blog.

George said...

It is interesting to see the statue out there in the bay. Cartagena looks like a very interesting city (or two cities as the case may be).

ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS SITE ARE COPYRIGHTED BY LEEDRA SCOTT
THEY MAY NOT BE USED WITHOUT MY WRITTEN CONSENT
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
EMAIL: LEEDRA.SCOTT@GMAIL.COM