Monday, February 23, 2009

Ruddy Turnstone at St Pete Beach

You know I struggle sometimes when I first see a bird. I thought this was a Wilson's Plover, but with Hap's help it has now been identified as a Ruddy Turnstone, which I even had a hard time finding in the book after having the name. Thank you Hap, yet again. The beak does not match the gulls, and notice the yellow legs.
Aren't those feathers just beautiful?
These photographs were taken October, 2008 at St Pete Beach, Florida.

My husband keeps telling me they are just gulls when I stop to photograph the shorebirds, then I get home to the computer and see a bird in the crowd that is different than all the others. I am sure all of you have somebody that has to tag along as you stop and photograph everything in sight. My husband is real patient with me, didn't mean to sound like he isn't. He just thinks all shorebirds are the same.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

Hi Leedra, your bird photos are splendid. I think we as photographers tend to see things in a different light. I can take a zillion photos of gulls and be thrilled at the sight of each photo as I put it on my screen. Professional or amateur, as photographers I'd venture to say there is a lot of similarity in the way we all think.

Anonymous said...

Leedra, you are right-this is a
shorebird, not a gull. However,
it is a juvenile Ruddy Turnstone.
You sure do get some beautiful
cloe-ups of the birds. I really
enjoy your photography!
Hap in New Hope (MN)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Leedra, I'm proud of you for learning the names of all of the birds. I could go a lifetime and never know!!!! Thanks to Hap for helping you again.
Hugs,
Betsy

Dorothy said...

Beautiful shot of the birds and I know it's exciting to learn their names.

Dawn Fine said...

This is a great little shorebird..one of the easiest to identify once you know it..
nice photos!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Yes,that is a nother beautiful bird.
Blessibgs,Ruth

ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS SITE ARE COPYRIGHTED BY LEEDRA SCOTT
THEY MAY NOT BE USED WITHOUT MY WRITTEN CONSENT
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
EMAIL: LEEDRA.SCOTT@GMAIL.COM