Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Rockwood is becoming quite interesting for my bird lifer list.
Below is a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker.I am leaning toward it being a female,
because what little view of the chin and throat does not appear to be red.
Look how she just blends in with the tree.
These are not the best photographs, but they are the best I have right now. Hopefully when the weather warms up and I can set up the blind closer to the tree (closer than the house) the Sapsucker will come down low on the tree like it did here so I can get some great photos.
Doesn't appear to be a juvenile because the head is so red.
Also, the damage to the tree was not just this year.
Jimmy and I were sitting eating lunch on Monday, and he said the woodpecker was going at his tree again. Jimmy has been concerned about the tree and wondering why the woodpecker keeps going to the live tree. Thought they liked dead trees. Well, me being me, I grabbed the camera and knew immediately this was not the Red Bellied Woodpecker I had photographed earler.
Click here to see the Red Bellied Woodpecker post from the yard at Rockwood.

Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I chased on of these all last weekend, never did get a decent photo. They really blend well with thr trees!

Shelley said...

A great find Leedra! These are so hard to photograph (I had 20 near misses this past summer so I'm glad I get to enjoy yours!)

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

These are interesting birds.I'm sur they will be back and give you more chances for pictures.
Blessings,Ruth

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Leedra, You got it!!!! I'm so jealous! I've never seen one. SO--if they are in Rockwood, I assume they are also on the plateau.. I need to keep looking (when it warms up).

Hope you got your pipes unfrozen. That is such a hastle.
Hugs,
Betsy

George said...

Leedra, I think you got some great shots from the house, but I do hope it warms up!

Dorothy said...

Boy, He really blends in with the bark of the tree!! I don't see woodpeckers here.

Clara....in TN said...

I had to look twice to see him on the tree. Nice pictures!

Mary said...

I keep watching them go up and down my mapler and wondering if they are destroying my tree. I hope not! They are busy birds and never show any interest in the feeders like the other woodpeckers.

Unknown said...

How fun! I love how well they blend, just too cool!

Jan said...

Great captures, I keep marveling at natures' camouflage.

Unknown said...

Great shot. I just love these guys because they do blend in with the tree. If you weren't looking you might not see them.

ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS SITE ARE COPYRIGHTED BY LEEDRA SCOTT
THEY MAY NOT BE USED WITHOUT MY WRITTEN CONSENT
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
EMAIL: LEEDRA.SCOTT@GMAIL.COM