Sunday, October 5, 2008

Deer with swollen face

I drove down this quiet little back road in Rhea County, Tennessee. This road photograph reminds me of the Trail to Woody Place at Cataloochee Cove in GSMNP, except this is a paved road, instead of gravel. When I turned around and was coming back out to the highway I spotted some movement down the road. So I grabbed the camera.I saw the deer cross the road then, and go up the bank, when I got up even with her, she turned her head, but I think you can still see from this photograph her face is very swollen.She looks like she needs a dentist, REAL bad. I was only able to get this one photograph before she took off. Don't know if you can tell, but she is also drooling.
UPDATE: Due to being contacted about this deer (via email) I have learned a little about this condition. If you need information about a deer with a swollen face, please check this link and this forum. I just realized today (12/5/08) if a google search is done on "deer+swollen face" this post came up first. Since that is happening I decided to research a little further to see what I could find. I don't come into contact with many deer other than at Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and this is the only deer I have ever seen with it. This deer was not in the park.

No comments:

ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS SITE ARE COPYRIGHTED BY LEEDRA SCOTT
THEY MAY NOT BE USED WITHOUT MY WRITTEN CONSENT
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
EMAIL: LEEDRA.SCOTT@GMAIL.COM