Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Flycatcher - Eastern Kingbird

UPDATE....due to comments, I went back to the research book, as promised. And I agree the white at the tail tip means it is an Eastern Kingbird. Thanks Michelerf for pointing that out. I kept looking for the red on top of the head, but now catch the book says the red crown mark is rarely seen. I agree it is an Eastern Kingbird. Thanks for the help. But which one?
I am thinking Eastern Phoebe
but then there is the Eastern Kingbird, or the Eastern Pewee
They can all be in East Tennessee. I keep looking at how flat his head looks, and I keep going back to the Eastern Phoebe. The book also says "repeatedly bobs tail", which this bird was doing up on the wire. There were 2 on the wire. The top 3 photos are from Monday, I only saw one bird on Monday. The bottom 2 photos are from Tuesday, there were 2 birds. Both days when I got close enough that it/they took off they flew back toward the woods. My yard is very open. This is a first time for this bird. One to that life list, if I just knew which bird it is. Please help, and I will update the post.

No comments:

ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS SITE ARE COPYRIGHTED BY LEEDRA SCOTT
THEY MAY NOT BE USED WITHOUT MY WRITTEN CONSENT
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
EMAIL: LEEDRA.SCOTT@GMAIL.COM