Friday, August 15, 2008

Variegated and Great Spangled Fritillaries

The top 3 are one type of butterfly.Notice the underside of this one.
This photo the wing on this side is completely flat. So it is a kinda of odd photo from the top of this one, but it does look like it is the same butterfly as the 1st photo.
Then you get to the bottom 3 photos. From the top this butterfly pretty much seems the same as the butterfly at the top. Although I don't have this one completely flat.
He also appears to not open his wings as he eats like the one above does.
Has the underside markings of a Fritillary, so I am fairly confident it is. Just which one?
It just amazes me these 2 butterflies are basically the same on the top, but the undersides are not similiar at all.


The top one I have been at for 2 summers now. Either I did not notice the bottom one last summer, or it is new to my yard this year. I am beginning to think Fritillaries are like Skippers. Label it as a Fritillary and go on. Although that does not quite satisfy me, so I would appreciate any and all comments helping me id these 2.

UPDATE: Hap in New Hope has helped id these 2 butterflies. The top 3 photos are the Variegated Fritillary. The bottom 3 photos are the Great spangle Fritillary. Thank you very much for the help.

No comments:

ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS SITE ARE COPYRIGHTED BY LEEDRA SCOTT
THEY MAY NOT BE USED WITHOUT MY WRITTEN CONSENT
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
EMAIL: LEEDRA.SCOTT@GMAIL.COM