Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The gift that keeps on giving

For a person that loves flowers (as I do) the best gift they can receive is flowers that are planted and continue to return every year.

The flower above was given to me by Mrs Harris. She was in her eighties when she gave it to me and she only lived one more year. This is non-hardy surprise lily. It is planted in a pot and I put it in the attic over the winter, with no water. In early spring bring it back outside and start watering it. The greenery never showed this year so when it bloomed I was really surprised. Thought I had killed both pots Mrs Harris gave me. Her daughter lives next door and I am sure I could have gotten a new start, but would have hated to have to tell Gwen I had killed it.
This is absolutely the most gorgeous gladiolus bloom I have ever seen. I am fortunate to have 6 or 7 of these this year due to a very good blogging buddy, Mildred. Last year we exchanged a couple of gifts and this is one of the ones Mildred sent to me. I have glads in my yard, but the ones I already had are not this pretty.
I love remembering my friends when I walk through my flower gardens and see blooms that remind me of them. Definitely the gifts that keep giving.
I went to Asheville today to the Gallery of the Mountains located inside the Grove Park Inn, Asheville, North Carolina. I am so very excited that they are now carrying my greeting cards. If you are ever there please ask to see my cards (anything helps--HA!) If you have never been there, it is a real treat just to visit this historical inn.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Leedra, The pink surprise lily is such a sweet flower and I am thrilled your glads are blooming. John and I honeymooned in Asheville and love the Gallery of the Mountains. Congrats on the Gallery carrying your cards ~ that is wonderful! What an honor for you. I cherish your beautiful photographic cards you shared with me.

Janice K said...

Both of those flowers are very lovely. I don't think I have ever seen a glad quite like that one.

I agree...it is neat to have flowers in your yard from friends and family, because you always feel like they are with you each year when the flowers bloom....even though the givers are living in heaven now.

Dorothy said...

Love the pink Lily and the gorgeous Glad! The best flowers or those that keep coming up and blooming every year!!!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Beautiful lily, Leedra... I love that color ---and that one means so much to you I'm sure because of where you got it...

And that Glad is one of the prettiest ones I have ever seen. We tried to grow some Glads a few years ago--but they didn't do well for us. So we didn't order anymore. They are so pretty though...

I like Grove Park Inn --and I have a blog friend who works there somewhere.. I think she's in a cafe or small restaurant of some kind.

Hugs,
Betsy

Darla said...

both are very pretty..

Susie said...

How nice they are carrying your greeting cards Leedra. That's great!

Love the flower blooms, so pretty.

Connie said...

Oh my,the peach colored gladiolus is stunning. I don't think they could get any better than that. What a gorgeous color.

Congrats on a new outlet for your cards.

Elaine said...

It is lovely to have plants that were given to you by friends return every year. I love that glad. Here they will not overwinter, and I have to start them inside so that I can enjoy their blooms. I have some with flower stalks forming, and they are planted in my new raised bed by the house. Two years ago as soon as my glads started blooming in my flower bed that is next to the trees the moose came through and munched them all off. They must have been like a piece of candy. Of course, there is no quarantee that the moose won't come up to the house, but it worked last year with a couple of pots.

Carletta said...

Beautiful!
The gladiolus are a gorgeous peachy shade.
Congrats on the inn carrying your cards - that's wonderful!

Rose said...

Wow, that glad sure is a beauty!

ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS SITE ARE COPYRIGHTED BY LEEDRA SCOTT
THEY MAY NOT BE USED WITHOUT MY WRITTEN CONSENT
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
EMAIL: LEEDRA.SCOTT@GMAIL.COM