Friday, April 10, 2009

Crosses for Good Friday

I, like lots of other people photograph crosses.
It is one of the many things I seem to collect.
My daughter and daughter-in-law have cross collections in their homes.
I collect the photographs.
This first photo was taken in Cartagena, Columbia, February 2009,
it is high on the hill overlooking the city.Next is at a little church in Rhea County.
I never thought about the significance of this cross being in the foundation of the church until I was preparing this post. It just hit me, they were sending the message that their church's foundation was the cross. Nice message. The lawn of McCampbell United Methodist Church, close to Dandridge, Tennessee.
The next 3 photos were all taken at Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center, May 2008. The first photo is a natural grown cross, donated to Lake Junaluska.
While there I knew I had to capture the famous Lake Junaluska cross at sunrise. Inside one of the lobbies at Lake Junaluska.
Laurel Valley Community Church in Virginia.
The August post on this church can be view here.
(Darla, it is 'your' church.)
Don't know the name of this church,
it was in the area of Marion, Viriginia.
St Augustine at sunset, seen from a boat, April 2008.
Hope you have enjoyed a small collection of my
photographs of crosses on this Good Friday.
Posted by Picasa

20 comments:

T said...

Love the rustic "stick" cross....beautiful.

Something I learned in my art classes - most churches (especially the old ones) are built to represent the cross. If you were to take an ariel view of the, you will see the "t" in the church!

I just thought that was so cool when I learned it.

DeniseinVA said...

What a very beautiful series of photographs. Thanks for sharing your collection of crosses Leedra. Happy Easter!

Unknown said...

These are wonderful and what a great reminder for Good Friday and the upcoming weekend!

Susie said...

Hi Leedra, I love crosses as well and you have a great photo collection. Happy Easter to you!!!

Jen said...

Great collection of crosses!
Easter Blessings to you and your family Leedra. +

Kathleen McQueen Wright said...

Happy Good Friday!
Lake Junaluska photos.... make me miss my sister she lives in Waynesville

Connie said...

A very meaningful way to represent Good Friday.

Happy Easter to you.

NCmountainwoman said...

Oh yes, I did enjoy all of these wonderful photographs. Perfect post for Good Friday.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Excellent choice for Good Friday.I like the idea of the cross in the foundation of the church.Perhaps we need more crosses in the foundations of our homes?
Blessings,Ruth

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great post for Good Friday, Leedra. I love crosses and churches--as you know. I've been to Lake Junaluaska many times through the years.

I also like the Daffodil Cross... Quite unique!!!!

Have a great weekend.
Happy Easter,
Betsy

Richard said...

Was that first cross carved out of coral?

Happy Easter.

Anonymous said...

I love your collection Leedra. When I attended Truett McConnell College in the 70's, there was a cross on the hill in the center of the campus. We could always enjoy a beautiful sunset from there. Easter blessings to you.

Leedra said...

Richard - I don't really know. The tour guide did not even mention the cross. I assumed it was really old.

Diane AZ said...

So many unusual and creative crosses. The skies in the outdoors ones are beautiful. Thank you for sharing your interesting photo collection.

Jenni said...

Those really are beautiful. I love the various way the cross get portrayed.

ivars krafts said...

Thank you Leedra. What a beautiful way to remind us of Good Friday! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

My favourite is of the cross made from flowers. Very original and creative.

Melissa Weisbard said...

These photos are lovely! I really like the last photo. Gorgeous!

Mary said...

These are fantastic....whether rustic, beautiful, ornate, or plain, the cross has a message for all of us. He did it for us.

Unknown said...

These are great. I really like the first cross. Absolutely gorgeous.

ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS SITE ARE COPYRIGHTED BY LEEDRA SCOTT
THEY MAY NOT BE USED WITHOUT MY WRITTEN CONSENT
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
EMAIL: LEEDRA.SCOTT@GMAIL.COM